Choose Love.


By: Jenny Abbott Edwards 




Love God. Love people. It is really that simple. The excuses in which we use to qualify to whom we extend our love is so troubling. Whether it was learned, expected, or presented in a religious box, each of us is guilty of some form of bias or discrimination in our thoughts or actions over our lifetime, I am certain.

When we strip away the reasons why, we must examine our own hearts. What must we unlearn? What must we relearn? Where do we go to remove the clutter of our culture and find the truth of our creator? 

Romans 5:8 says so beautifully, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While WE were still sinners, Christ died for us.” It does not say, while THEY. While WE were, lost in our sin, Christ died for us. While I  was lost in sin, Christ died for me!

Ephesians 2:8-10 “For it is by grace- you have been saved through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

It is his job to bring judgment over my sin and your sin when we meet him face to face. It is my job to love.  For all the times in my life when I haven't loved myself, when I haven't been able to love others, I say I am deeply sorry.  It is time as people, whether you recognize yourself as God's workmanship or not, it is time to be accountable for your love. Love is a choice more than it is a feeling. Christ chose to die on the cross because of His great love for you and for me in the midst of our sin. In return, he asks us to love God and love others the way he loves us.

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you.." (Eph 18)


I am to walk a life worthy of the calling where it really is as simple as these two things: Love God. Love people.

May the great tragedy of hatred in Orlando, stir love. In the midst of overwhelming sadness and grief over the lost, may we choose love. In the finger pointing and self-righteousness of some, may we choose love. To those who hide behind false religion as a method of hate, may we choose love. In the midst of uncertainty, among the chaos, in the difference of opinions, may we choose love.

Today in the midst of our struggle, in the midst of our pain, may we choose love.



"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." -John 13:34









No comments:

Post a Comment